So what’s the 55 all about? It’s a simple tool that can help you get your Maths homework done more effectively. It can help you with studying not just Maths but any subject. Especially if you’re not looking forward to doing it or you’re procrastinating about doing it.
It makes getting homework started much easier. It also makes it easier to get more done within a fixed block of time.
How To Study Effectively Using the 55
The 55 is setting a fixed length of time to get a task done and this is how you do it:
- Set your phone or ipad/ipod timer for 55 min. Harp is good for the timer sound.
- Turn off all distractions – no facebook, tv, instagram, snapchat or any social media.
- No phone calls incoming or outgoing unless they’re emergency calls
- Get a drink if needed before you start your 55min session
- Get started on your homework!
Have a 15 min break before the next session – this is a chance to refresh and relax your tired brain 🙂
* Play gentle music if needed – optional…I don’t use it as I find it distracting.
What you’ll get from using the 55
- Instead of doing a whole lot of endless homework you’ll have a fixed block of time to get as much homework done as you can with no distractions.
- This will make it easier to focus on the task at hand.
- There’s going to be a definite end to the homework session when the timer goes off.
- You’ll have something to look forward to when the timer goes off – a well deserved break 🙂
You may find that you’re still in the middle of doing the task when the timer goes off – at this point if you’re on a roll then keep going and finish it off if you’ve only got a little bit to do. Or you can just stop… have a 15min break and then come back and set the timer for another 55min session.
Over time you’ll find that you’re more productive. You’ll get more work done in a couple of sessions than you did by not using the timer.
Try it and see if it makes any difference to your homework efforts and results. Leave a comment and let me know if it has helped in anyway.